Thursday, July 12, 2018

G.R.U.S.K. (Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob)

My last rotation of PGY2 finally wrapped up on June 30 and after a long 2 months of ICU I was itching to get back to racing. I'd had to work 28hr call every Sat/Sun which effectively took me out of racing for the entire rotation.  After a string of ED shifts to start PGY3 year, I finally had my first full weekend off. After I got off shift Friday morning I slept an hour and then headed up to Charlottesville. I spent Friday afternoon at Cutaway Bike Race Camp coaching young riders on race starts with the illustrious Gordon Wadsworth. Saturday morning I got up early, abandoned Bryan who was working bike camp, and drove the couple hours to the race in Circleville, WV. The race went out of a cool venue-- Experience Learning's Spruce Knob Mountain Center. Driving in I was surprised that I had ironically been here before back several years before when Stephanie and I went ski touring around Spruce Knob.
SKMC in winter
The venue was beautiful-- a high alpine field overlooking the valley. After a week of a brutal heat & humidity wave over the East I was beyond thrilled to get out of the car into 55 degrees and a little breeze. Added bonus: the Moonstomper kits had arrived at Cutaway late that week. Friday before camp I'd helped Bryan pack them to send out, and therefore had my fresh new kit to rock for the race :) Soon enough it was start time with a slow roll down the fire road out the venue to help keep things safe for everyone on a downhill gravel start.

Race start at Spruce Knob Mountain Center

At the bottom of the hill the race was on. The course was absolutely incredible. Early on was a super fun grassy fire road descent that I had a blast ripping down on my gravel bike. Then other than a couple short pavement sections it was miles of cruiser, high quality gravel and the temperatures maxed out in the low 80s. This course is probably 80%+ gravel and full of beautiful views. The summer wildflowers were in full swing and multiple times I crested what appeared to be a small roller to find myself at the top of a knoll looking out over a valley full of rolling mountains and fields. The way out of the big loop trended down and reached the low point at mile 31 with crossing the Cheat River and then we turned to return to Spruce Knob and began a long slow climb upward. In true rural WV style, a particularly sketchy moment of the race was nearly hitting a cow who jumped out into the road in front of me coming off a descent.

Spruce Knob is a long part gravel/part paved climb but remarkably gradual. The second place woman, Ellen Tarquinio, caught me early in the climb with a group and I enjoyed a little rest in the draft. Once the pitch steepened though, I managed to pull away (fortunately climbing is definitely one of my strengths). I had never been up Spruce and was blown away at the top by the views. Spruce Knob is the highest point in West Virginia (4,863') and it really felt like I was overlooking the whole state.

Spruce Knob Summit: 📸 R.J. Morrison Photos
 Then, it was back down Spruce Knob to a short climb back to Spruce Knob Mountain Center to the finish. Final time: 4:35:57.2 for 1st place in Women's Epic Division. The party was just starting though....I was thrilled to see a bunch of folks from Canaan Valley and elsewhere at the end! Todd Romero and his band were playing at the after party and Chip Chase had made the trek up for some riding and hanging out with folks. Sue Haywood also did the Epic route and I got to hear some serious slum tales from Le TdB last week. Alex Forte, Chris Howell, and Pat Norton were also up for the race.




After a few hours of socializing, a shower (!!bonus point of this race-- there are showers at the end!!), and awards (plus my first ever big check!), it was time to roll back to Charlottesville for another day of bike camp and the marathon race on Sunday morning.

Epic Women's Overall
The short: I can't recommend this race enough. Travis Olson, Mountain Trails LLC, and Mountain Top Realty did an amazing job with organizing this event. Logistics were on point, the course was not only stunning and a crazy high percentage of gravel, but also exceptionally well marked. Thanks to all for such a fun day-- I definitely want to do this race again!


2018 King & Queen of Spruce Knob


No comments:

Post a Comment