Monday, April 23, 2018

Pisgah Gravel Glory...Bootlegger 100

After 11 straight shifts I was ready to head back south for Pisgah Productions' Bootlegger 100 gravel race. Jeff Cheng tried to get me to do the race last year, but I was already signed up for the Blue Ridge Half Marathon. Jeff, Chris, and Ray returned from the race with nothing but rave reviews. This year, the two events once again coincided. I was a little sad to be skipping the Roanoke event for only the second time since I've lived here, but since I've now run all 3 normal distances of the BRM (yeah, that double marathon has absolutely zero appeal, sorry!) I was stoked to mix it up this year.

There was one major indecision-- which distance to do. This race has two options: 100 mile (10k elev) and 60 mile (6k elev). I was (and still am!) worried because Cohutta 100 is in just a week and I have never done that distance that close together. Ultimately, I decided I really wanted to see the 100 course but that I needed to ride smart and not to destroy myself. TBD exactly how bad of a decision this was...

'Top Gun' apparently can't park worth a sh$#. -Cheng
The Bike Party Van was back in session with Jeff Cheng, Jeff Brown, Chris and I all doing Bootlegger 100. We piled into the van Friday evening and rolled on down to Lenoir, NC. We arrived to check in at 9:45pm and definitely disappointed the registration guy who was about to leave for the night (it was open till 10). I felt a little better when two other guys showed up a few minutes after we did. Moral of check in: don't be a roadie and try to make your number plate all aero or you'll f*&# it up and it won't work.
 
After check in it was over to the hotel where the parking lot highlights included: #1 a Florida car with bike rack...oh boy, they're gonna LOVE these hills, and #2 bros who can't park. After some last minute bike adjustments/tuning/prep for the morning we hit the hay. I took the floor with my sleeping bag and pad while Chris and Cheng got their Stomper snuggle on in their wool jerseys.
4 bikes, 1 hotel room

JB had brought some bagels to eat but we supplemented these with the continental breakfast...heck yeah, they had waffles! We arrived at the race site around 7:20a so had a little time to finish getting ready before the racers meeting at 7:45a. In the parking lot we saw fellow Roanokers, Gordon and Ashton, who had rallied down early to race. After a quick racers meeting we were off!


The lead out from town was on pavement and fairly rolling. The lead pack was quite large and stayed more or less together for a while. There was a quick break up during the first short gravel stretch before regrouping again until the first major climb. Having started biking in triathlon-world where drafting is illegal and even now rarely riding in a group of more than 5 people, I still get really stressed in a big roadie-type pack. That said it always amazes me the power of a pace line!


The first 'blip' on the map was a quick little up/down but it did its' job and broke up the group some. Then we were passing Aid 1 and on towards the second (first real) climb. As this started someone asked me, "Is this as long as the last?" Outward: "Pretty sure it's quite a bit longer." Inward: 'Ummm...did you look at the map? And the last one wasn't bad!'

The next two climbs were exactly what I'm used to in Roanoke...long and steady. Nothing particularly steep and I could settle in and climb. Both were absolutely gorgeous. They started off paralleling mountain streams with rhododendron lining the road, before climbing higher to the ridgetops. The slow spring here paid off and we were afforded some beautiful views that in a couple weeks will be shrouded by leaves.


During the second climb my low back started to flare up again. Since I got my Crossrip I haven't had any back issues until this past Wednesday when my right lower back started spasming only partway up Bent Mountain early into a ride. No clue why, but here it was again. This time is was at least both sides so a little more even but uncomfortable nonetheless. No matter how I tried to reposition nothing would help. Back to the "don't blow yourself out for Cohutta" mentality, I backed off a touch and keeping a slightly lower power which seemed to help keep it from getting a lot worse. Mental note: focus on stretching and core this week.

In what felt like no time, the second large climb was done and there was Aid 2. I had a brief "Oh sh&#!!!" moment when someone mentioned there had been a turn where the 60 mile branched off. Ummm, what there was a split?! Ohhhh that's why there are so few people now. Also crap, I'm likely to be fully on my own soon! I need to pay WAY better attention to course markings!  I also heard that I was the first woman to come through, which was welcome news especially given back issues.

The smooth couple of miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway were a nice break, and then it was a left (which I nearly missed) onto what I swear was a 20+ minute ripping gravel descent down towards Wilson's Creek Gorge. At the bottom of the steep we rejoined the 60 mile course to Aid 3 where I was overjoyed to see peanut butter M&Ms. I refueled, stuffed several handfuls of M&Ms into my feed bag and headed on down WC Gorge.


Wow. The next 5 miles or so were false-flat down, smooth gravel along the side of Wilson's Creek. I even had to stop and take some pictures. The mellow flow turned slowly into steeper rapids and I enjoyed watching the down canyon progression from fly-fishers to whitewater kayakers. I was definitely sad to hit the end of the road and turn left towards Maple Sally. 


Ohhhh Maple Sally....I know a lot of people eye those big early climbs but #1 they're early and #2 you climb and then you're at the top and done. Looking at the elevation profile before the race this was what I targeted was by far going to be the toughest part. #1 It's ~65 miles in, #2 it's 18ish miles of up/down/up/down sawtooth trending upwards. Except that I had forgotten exactly how long it was, and by about an hour in I was cursing the return to climbing after every short descent especially with the back issues continuing. About 2/3 of the way through there was a surprise unofficial aid station with fresh brewed Kombucha on tap! I was out a bottle so I took a cup and filled the bottle to go.

6 miles later Maple Sally finally ended and I was back on the stick of the lollipop and headed home. I made a quick stop at Aid 4 and was stoked to find grilled cheese fresh off the burner. This is my new favorite mid race/ride snack! I stuffed a couple squares in my mouth and kept moving. On the way back there was a stiff headwind, but fortunately I met up with another rider on one of the short climbs and we were able to team up and trade pulls for several miles: Teamwork makes the dream work! Once we hit some climbing though, he told me he was cooked and I pulled ahead.

Soon enough I was cruising through neighborhoods into downtown and the finish line. After arrival I found out my iPhone had failed royally and missed a solid 35-40 miles of the ride. I really need to get a better GPS...my Garmin watch doesn't last long enough for these longer events so I had to use the phone. Chris had finished a bit before me, so after changing I met up with him and we hung out drinking beer and eating burritos to wait for the Jeffs. JB came in first, earning him 3rd place in Men's Singlespeed and a solid bottle of booze to take home.


Chenger rolled in just as JB's podium shoot wrapped up. We all hung out for a bit eating/drinking and cheering on later finishers until it was time to hit the road. Turns out only 3 women did the 100 and the third was reported to be still on the course, unknown where exactly. The 2nd place woman had already left, so I ended up all alone for the podium pics. Picked up some sick swag though with a belt buckle and a pair of Maxxis Tires!

Photo: Icon Media Asheville
The Party Van loaded up and rolled back north to the 'Noke. However, because one burrito is not even close to enough after that much riding we stopped by Pa Paw's Diner for some classic southern fried cuisine. Apparently Cheng et al. had discovered it on the way home last year. It definitely hit the spot.


Thank you, Pisgah Productions, for putting on such a rad event! Although still TBD if/how it will affect me next weekend, I'm stoked I got to see the entire 100 course! I couldn't recommend this event more for the organization, the scenery, and the toughness. Already putting this on the calendar for next year! Which, ironically, the tentative block schedule for PGY3 just got released today...Let the rest of 2018 season planning begin!

But now...a week of recovery, work, and loooots of stretching in preparation for Cohutta next weekend. 6 weeks ago I thought I might be lucky enough to have a partner in crime for the trip, but instead it appears I'll be rolling solo.


No comments:

Post a Comment