Thursday, March 22, 2018

2018 Race Season Begins-- MonsterCross

With the 2018 race season now underway, I thought it would be fun to start reflecting on races and various other adventures. So....a blog! Oh boy...

After starting my year on my orthopedics rotation working Q2 24 hour call schedules which definitely resulted in less bike time especially given the winter weather, the 2018 race season started February 18 with MonsterCross in Richmond, VA. Coming into MonsterCross I had never ridden Pocahontas SP before and was stoked to check out a new area. I live in Roanoke, so most of my rides consist of sustained mountain climbs followed by long descents where my legs get to rest. The flat course with short, punchy climbs was going to be a different sort of challenge. 

Leading up to the race and talking with friends who had done it in years past I got lots of mixed reviews regarding which bike to use...mountain bike vs cross/gravel bike. I don't have a fleet of bikes so my options were either my Trek TopFuel (full suspension and set up winter mode with Knobby Nic tires, definitely not ideal for rolling gravel) or my Trek Crossrip3 (love that bike but I'd been strongly cautioned about some gnarly creek crossings known to shred skinny tires). The rims on my Crossrip are basically impossible for me to change a tire/tube by myself (one of my great fears every time I go out on a long ride) so a big hole I can't plug would have toasted me. I was undecided even up to the morning of the race, both bikes came to Richmond with me. I didn't make the final decision until 5 minutes before the start and opted for less chance of flatting and taking my chance with the higher rolling resistance.

The race started right on time with a wave start. There was a great women's field with many strong ladies including some friends from Le Tour de Burg showing up to race. It was definitely nice to have a smaller group at first as we went around the corner and right into a more narrow area. After a quick lead out, the race was on the pace picked up and we started flying. Prior to the race a friend had described it as “road tactics in the woods”. Boy was that accurate! Fast pace lines through the trees was exhilarating. I was pleasantly surprised at how few sections along the course felt like a flat straight grind, and there were plenty of roots, twists and those creek crossings to keep things interesting. I got an early lead but knew the ladies behind me were super strong and I couldn't let up at all on the effort. It paid off and I finished in 3:03:10, 1st place in Women's Pro/Elite.



Apart from the riding, the race was so well organized, had excellent aid support, and let’s be honest….upper 50s and sunny in February can’t be beat! Despite the rain leading up to the event, the course had drained well and was in great shape. And bike choice? Worked great but I still think either bike would have worked! MonsterCross was such a great way to start the season and I’ll definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment